Saturday, January 1, 2011

Despicable Me... and a Happy New Year!

To ring in the new year I decided to see one of the bigger animated movies of the last that I never got around to seeing. Despicable Me (2010) had been recommended to me many times by friends, but the trailers had never caught my attention. I had been told it was a must see simply due to the extent the 3D went to. So how did it hold up, especially now that I was seeing it without that most controversial of Ds? Hit the jump to find out!


Overall I enjoyed it. The scenes that had been designed for the 3D aspect of the theatrical release were obvious, and I definitely found myself wishing I had seen it in 3D. I should admit I'm generally a fan of the 3D trend, so long as it's done well. I'll avoid those post converted modified monstrosities that are pushed and forced down the gullet of the cinema claiming to be 3D movies like the plague though. Even so, ignoring what could have been 3D and seeing Despicable Me in 2D, it was still fun. The best part of the movie for me was the youngest girl, topping even all I've heard about the little yellow minions. I found the main character annoying at first, but as the movie progressed he slowly won me over. Well, at least to the point that I no longer found him annoying.

In the end I can say I liked it, but it wasn't the grand comedy that I had heard so much about. Sure it had a good number of laughs and it made a nice family animated comedy. Go into this one with some lowered expectations, and I think you'll be plenty pleased with what you find.

5 comments:

  1. Agree with your final summary. It's a good movie and one of the better animations this year, but not a patch on How To Train Your Dragon or Toy Story 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think it was a pretty good movie. I didn't care so much for the main character, but I loved the kids and the minions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wanna see this. They look so dam cute. And that commercial they were in with George Takei was just the icing on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Wesley How To Train Your Dragon was amazing I have watched it twice now. Still need t o see Toy Story 3.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Wesley I agree. How to Train Your Dragon is way better than this movie.

    @Thomas Toy Story 3 is really good. Also far better than this movie. Might even be better than Dragon.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment for us!