Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Dude Abides

I chose today to be the day I would get the comedy juggernaut The Big Lebowski (1998) out of the way. I've never gotten a chance to see it, and everyone looks at me like I'm crazy when I admit it. Ever since Tron: Legacy came out, I've heard references to The Big Lebowski more than ever and I had no idea what anyone was talking about. Well now I know, and knowing is half the battle, as some may say. I guess I should mention that this is directed by the Coen Brothers, the same guys that did Burn After Reading which I just watched earlier this week. The Dude, played by Jeff Bridges, and Walter, played by John Goodman, do their best in these hectic times, and I'll reveal if I think they get a strike, or strike out after the jump!


I think the secret to The Big Lebowski's fame clearly has to be it's cast of characters. After seeing this movie you will never forget who The Dude is, or his best friend Walter. The two are some of the most crazy, unforgettable and best realized characters I think I've ever seen in a movie. Their way of talking, their mannerisms, and their reactions to all the other insane cast members is pretty great. This also seems like a movie that would only get better with multiple viewings and with friends. There's so many great lines of dialog in here, possibly only second to Pulp Fiction. At least in my movie viewing experience.

"You mark that frame an 8, and you're entering a world of pain." - Walter

As far as the story goes, it was pretty good. I never found myself getting side tracked as I have been for some of the movie's I've watched recently. It's constantly moving, introducing more new characters, and generally getting more crazy with every new scene. A few in the middle of the movie more crazy that the rest to be sure. They certainly keep you guessing that's for sure. Who would ever think they'd see a man get thrown out of a taxi just because he didn't like The Eagles.

The Big Lebowski makes its mark based on its characters, dialog and acting alone. But when watching this movie none of the other stuff really matters. I just found myself sucked into their weird quirky world and along for the ride as they try to solve the case of the kidnapped trophy wife and missing $1 million. It's things like having a ferret thrown into a bathtub with The Dude by a group of bondage obsessed Germans that make you pause and think, how the hell did it get to this? Good movie, check it out, especially if you're a Coen Brothers movie fan.

4 comments:

  1. Oh man I can't believe you haven't seen this before. I was going to recommend it, but I figured you had already seen it.

    This movie seriously gets better and better the more times you watch it, especially if you watch it with other people who love the dialog. Back in the days when I used to play Socom II online all the time I was in a clan, and we all quoted lines from this ALL the time, so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a lot of movies I haven't seen. I used to watch primarily sci-fi and action movies. I've missed out on a lot. Feel free to recommend anything! No harm done if I've already seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched this when I think I was too young to appreciate it. I don't remember anything about it other than I thought it was utterly dull and uninteresting. I should probably go back and rewatch it sometime, but I'm not a fan of the Coens, so that makes it difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Wesley I think it played more to the collage and stoner crowd, which was a large portion of my generation when it came out. It's certainly not a movie for everyone.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment for us!