Friday, January 28, 2011

Now Playing: The Rite (2011)

I've been looking forward to seeing The Rite staring Anthony Hopkins ever since I first saw the trailer months ago. I love movies about demons and demonic possession and exorcism! The Exorcism of Emily Rose is a big favorite of mine. I always like the internal debates these kinds of movies get into about whether or not the devil can exist. This of course leads into questions of faith and whatnot in these movies, and I always find it fascinating to see characters go through these internal struggles. But does The Rite also struggle? Find out if it's worth your hard earned money right after the jump!


Now of course I have to start with the great Anthony Hopkins. As expected, he does a great job! He plays Father Lucas Trevant, a seasoned veteran exorcist in Rome. He meets, and becomes a sort of mentor to a young American priest. This American, Micheal, is on the verge of completing his studies and is having a crisis of faith. He is sent to Rome and then to Father Lucas so he can see the proof he now needs to once again believe in God.

The story certainly has promise and the trailers make The Rite out to be great. Unfortunately this just isn't the case. Mr Hopkins does his best, but even he can't keep this movie from being just disappointing. There's one or two interesting scenes scattered throughout the movie, but they're pretty few and far between. Most of the movie involves just standing around talking, and even when there's action, it's still pretty much just more standing around and talking.

Unfortunately this is most of the movie

Exorcism movies tend to get by with their visual scares by having creepy effects on the possessed victims. The Rite has some of this, but it just doesn't go far enough. Contortions and body extensions don't seem too much more than what a regular person could do, and so they never inspire that dread that a good demonic possession movie carries with it.

The Rite also falls pray to the ageless trap of trailers that show scenes that aren't in the final movie. One of the things that most caught my attention is a scene in the trailer with a dark hooded girl with black eyes, sharp pointed teeth and skin like ash. She looks so creepy and so scary and I just want to know who that is. Well I never will because she's not in the movie! Damn you, you evil movie marketing department! Hell, she's probably the head of advertising for this movie.

NOT IN THE MOVIE!!
If you're a fan of this type of movie, you might find something worthwhile here. But I sort of doubt it. If you really must see it, or you're a huge Anthony Hopkins fan, honestly I say just save your money for a cheap rental. Sadly, it's just not worth the price of admission.

1 comment:

  1. I actually came looking for this movie specifically to see if one of you guys had reviewed it, and wow... I gotta say... I totally disagree with you about the movie being such a disappointment. You're right that it's a lot of standing around and talking, but what I did enjoy most about this particular exorcism movie was the faith struggle, which I felt like they played out really well. And I guess it makes me a wuss that I was genuinely shaken up after I saw it... :P

    I agree with you that the acting (especially from Mr. Hopkins) was fantastic. But as for there not being as much action as some other ones, I kind of think it's just a matter of focus - the emphasis here was placed much more heavily on the psychological and emotional struggles of the characters. So I really enjoyed it. :)

    By the way, nice catch on the trailer! Stuff like that cracks me up. :P

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment for us!