Thursday, March 31, 2011

A Throwback to Great 80s Movies: Easy A (2010)

I have a confession to make. I'm going to a concert tonight so I watched my movie for the day shortly after midnight which is why this post is showing up earlier than usual. I guess I better say that the movie I picked to watch was Easy A starring the soon to be blonde Emma Stone. My reasons for why I never watched Easy A when it first came out and why I'm watching it now are the same as everyone else's; I thought it would be crap, and I've since heard it was great. And they're right, this movie IS great, but why is it great and why should you care? Hit the jump to find out these answers!



To start off as to why you should care, it's because this movie has the heart and soul of those classic 80s romance comedies, and they're actually all referenced in Easy A too. It basically takes their formula, rubs it in your face, and then blatantly follows it to the letter, right down to the seemingly random musical number near the end.

The story here is that a rumour about Olive gets around that she's no longer a virgin. The rumour quickly builds when she is convinced by her gay friend to pretend while at a party that they had sex, to save him from getting beaten up all the time. This quickly gets even more out of hand and soon she's widely considered a tramp who sells her body for money. In an act of defiance she sews red A's on all of her new wardrobe.
Looking sexy!
It's also a very clever movie. The backbone of the film is that Emma Stone's character Olive is sending out a webcast explaining the truth of what really happened. This also means that when she references multiple different movies, she can show clips and scenes from those old movies, as if she's simply helping her audience picture these classics. It all fits the modern twist on the movie and gives an explainable reason why these old clips pop-in. I quite liked that.

Blonde Emma Stone
Emma Stone is an amazing actress in this movie, but she's not the only one. Standly Tucci  and Patricia Clarkson play her father and mother. As a family unit they all totally clicked and were very funny. Even when Emma Stone is on her own though, like while she's in school, she's very funny, always charming and very believable. Actually I could probably compliment every actor in this movie in some way or another.

The romance side of the story was briefly touched on, and mainly because we see so little of the guy she really likes, it worked 'on' and 'off'. Mostly 'on' though. As for the comedy, that was a different story. I was always riveted to the story and the comedy. All the jokes were well written and I found myself with a big grin on my face for the majority of the film. Emma Stone has a strong presence on screen. Basically anything that she says or does is said or done with a comic twist or just the right amount of attitude. Can't wait to see what she is like in the new Spider-Man reboot "Amazing Spider-Man" as Gwen Stacey.

I really can't think of anything to complain about that seems relevant. It's a fun movie that will just make you happy. They don't make movies like this anymore, and that's a real shame. If you like comedies at all, you should get this movie. Fun times were had by all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment for us!