Saturday, April 16, 2011

Now Playing: Insidious

It's been on my "to watch" list for weeks, and I finally roped someone into seeing Insidious with me. This was originally recommended to me by my friend and twitter user @inhuman_4 after he saw it at the Toronto International Film Festival. Ever since then I've been waiting for my chance, and finally it came out in theaters. From the creators of Paranormal Activity and Saw, Insidious is an attempt to make a horror movie the way they used to be made, without interference from executives and studios. I was anxious to see if they succeeded. Hit the jump to see if they did!


Insidious is about a family of 5 moving into a new house. Creepy things start happening right off the bat like things moving by themselves, strange sounds being heard at night and things being seen just out of the corner of your eye. Their son Dalton soon falls into some kind of unexplainable coma and events begin to increase in intensity.

After hearing this basic story summary, Insidious seems like a very average run-of-the-mill horror that we've all seen time and time again. In actuality, I've had to leave most of the finer details out that make Insidious a great story simply because that would utterly ruin the uniqueness. There were so many times during the movie that I thought "Ah, I know what's going on" and then it turns out I'm wrong as the formula suddenly switches up. Then when I think "Oh ok, NOW I get it" it changes once again, always keeping you guessing.

Patrick Wilson & Rose Byrne give their characters a believability rarely found in Horror
Another point to make about Insidious is how grounded it feels, even though it's dealing with totally crazy ideas. My friend was the first to bring this up, and he's totally right. The characters all seem to act with *gasp* common sense! What's that? There's a weird noise outside in the dark? Should I venture out into the night in my PJ's? Hell no! I'll try to turn on the porch light or look out the windows and lock the door and go back to bed! Finally! Smart people in a horror movie! It's a small thing, but it makes all the difference and makes the people on screen seem more real, and as a result makes the scary events feel more real too.

Oh F--K so creepy!!
There are a lot of little things I liked about Insidious besides the characters and the story. The effects, the scares, the atmosphere at the end and the concepts used really got my mind going. Surprisingly, Insidious is quite devoid of blood, which meant the scares were almost always psychological and not just gross-out shock scenes.

This is a benefit for me, since I'm not a fan of the body horror movies of late, Saw being a major player in that camp of horror movies. The Saw creator's influences can still be felt though with creepy sound effects and such, but the movie seems to be more like Paranormal Activity than Saw if I was forced to pick sides. Even so, Insidious stands on it's own and feels like a unique movie all it's own.

This starts as a sort of goofy scene, but quickly becomes very powerful
I definitely have to recommend Insidious to anyone who is a fan of horror movies. It brings back feelings and atmosphere reminiscent of horror films of the past. The horrible screeching sound that accompanies the title shot alone gave me chills. The pacing and flow of the movie keep it moving and keep you guessing right until the end. One piece of advice though, remember this is still an indie movie on a budget, so even though I'm giving it a fairly glowing review, do go into it with some lowered expectations. With that in mind, go forth, and get the crap scared out of you!

9 comments:

  1. I've heard excellent things about this so far. I'm not much of a horror fan myself but even I'm interested in checking this out.

    Usually you expect a horror film with a PG-13 rating to honk but having a more psychological horror appears to buck that trend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My only complaint would be that the ending is a little predictable. Even so, I enjoyed the rest enough that I can let it slide. I can see a point in the film where it could go too far into the fantasy side of things & lose some audience members though.

    As a side I should qualify my opinion with the fact that I really liked Paranormal Activity 1 & 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was Okay. But it was pretty run of the mil for me still, maybe i just watch too many horror movies? Im not sure. But the one scene that did creep me out alot you actually posted a photo of. I did love how they tried to go a bit old school in some scenes(the camera) or even the logo and lack of like music? I liked that part.

    But it got pretty cheesy to me :-/ PLus i kept thinking "OMG its darthmaul!" which more than likely ruined the movie for me.

    I really hated the end....WELL not the end end, that i was okay with. but i dont want to really talk spoilers.

    But anyways i wouldnt really tell anyone to see it but i wont actually say its horrible either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this review, Jim. I think I'll have to go see it if not only based on your comment that some common sense is factored into the script! I'm a psychological thriller movie fan myself, and usually the lack thereof is what irritates me the most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @scoobydiesel I can see what you mean about getting cheesy. I can imagine some people just not being able to get into what it starts to try and sell. As for the "Darthmaul" monster, my friend did call him that after he first showed up, and I can obviously see the connection, but I still saw it as a new and far more creepy monster. What I mean to say is that I didn't think "Darthmaul" when he showed up. The creaking and snapping sound he seems to make went right down my spine.

    The thing about this movie I think is that it could only be enjoyed in the theater with the screaming people and the big screen and huge sound systems. If it's something you're not going to like at all, big or small screen obviously won't help, but if it's something the person will like, watching on a small screen might make it seem like less. I'm not sure if I'm making sense here :\

    @Stacie After all the comments I'm getting on twitter about this article, I'm worried that I'm not describing the scares properly, that I haven't used the right words to portray how I felt and why I enjoyed it. Basically I'm starting to wonder if "psychological" is the right word to use. If you go see it, I hope you like it. As you can see from the comments, there are definitely some acceptance pills you have to swallow to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey it's inhuman_4 the guy who recommended this movie after seeing it a TIFF. I just though I would put in my 2 cents.

    First because I saw it a TIFF the crowed got right into the movie and it was awesome. Also the director was there to speak about the movie afterwards which was really cool.

    The fact that the people in this movie are actually intelligent makes a huge difference for me, it's something I hate about other horror movies. I also liked that fact that there is almost no gore, atmosphere and psychological thrills all the way.

    My only problem with this movie is the ending, it gets cheesy like @scoobydiesel says. It has a bit of a Signs feel to it. Great first half, lots of buildup and suspense. But then the later parts drop the ball.

    Still I though it was really good. It and Monsters were to two favorites of TIFF'10

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know Im a bit late coming back to this But i TOTALLY agree with Inhuman_4 on the "Signs" kinda compairison, It started off pretty good but i felt it ends poorly.

    I still dont really see all that much "smarts" in teh film but i guess it did have a few like you pointed out about not opening the door.

    I did also like the sounds and the atmosphere instead of just having blood and guts all over...But something just didnt set well with me.

    Which might have been the people in the theater with me...Normally i would love horror on the big screen for the screams and everything around me but that failed to actually happen :-/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved Paranormal Activity 1 but really hated the 2nd. Wife was the same way. I'll have to give this a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Justin that's interesting. I'm curious to know what you think of it after you see it. I liked both of those movies, but I've even heard people say the liked the 2nd but not the first. They're very polarizing movies.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment for us!