Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Poll Position: 16 Candles ( Tied Bonus)

Today I fulfill my promise from yesterday. By the way, what a weird poster I found for 16 Candles. There wasn't much to pick from, I guess in the 80's they weren't obsessed with making tons of marketing posters for their movies and VHS covers. (Yes I totally remember VHS!) Anyways, we all know why we're here, for me to tell you what I thought of this classic John Hughes rom-com. Let me be honest that I went into this with very low expectations. By the end of this, I'm going to say which of the two movies that tied last week's poll I would have voted for, now that I've seen both this and Caddyshack. Hit the jump to find out!


So I've completely come to grips with the fact that in the 80's, comedies didn't need stories, they just needed a basic premise and fun characters to run a muck for the length of the movie, and perhaps have something significant happen by the end so it wasn't all a waste of time. Also, what's with 80's movies and starting with the huge family waking up all the kids in the house? Caddyshack did the exact same thing! Anyways, in Sixteen Candles the premise is that it's Samantha's birthday which her family has forgotten about. It's her older sister's wedding, and she has a crush on the greatest guy in school, who doesn't even know she exists... or so she thinks!
Samantha all cleaned up for her sister's wedding
As I've found with all the 80's comedies I've watched, it's all about the characters! The star of the show is obviously Samantha, played by Molly Ringwald. She plays a very spoiled sort of girl at the start, expecting some dramatic change in her life outlook the night she turned 16. While she doesn't find it that morning, by the end of the movie, she seems to fast forward into an understanding young woman. Maybe she was right after all.

Similarly, there is a hormone driven boy, only known as "The Geek" in the credits, played by Anthony Michael Hall. Just like Samantha, throughout the course of the movie we see him transform from a totally annoying little kid into a something resembling a normal boy. Drastically calmed down, and more honest with the people around him. Sure he's still a show-off to his nerdy friends, but who wouldn't want to show off when you're friends with John Cusack?! Lastly, I just want to throw out a little something for Paul Dooley, possibly one of the best movie Dads I've ever seen. Way to go Mr. Dooley!
Hey wait! That guy on the left is John Cusack!
Of course, what kind of John Hughes movie would this be without a memorable John Hughes moment. Here it comes right at the very end when finally after missing and dodging each other for the whole movie, "The Geek" gives the handsome Jake the truth that Samantha likes him and he meets her after her sister's wedding. After everyone having forgotten her birthday, he magically knows and has bought her a cake. As cheesy as the moment should be, it still has that charm that only John Hughes could do, and while lit only by candlelight, they kiss while sitting on the table with the cake between them.

So which movie would I have picked now that I've seen both Caddyshack and Sixteen Candles? Surprisingly, I think I'd go with Sixteen Candles. I think it's because it has a better premise and didn't jump around as much as Caddyshack did, and the classic coming-of-age tale still holds true today despite being made in 1984. There are still people in real life like those in the movie, and I'm sure everyone knows at least one person that is like one of the many characters. It was a fun little movie, and I enjoyed it quite a bit more than I thought I would.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment for us!