Saturday, December 31, 2011

End it all off with "Despicable Me" (2010)

A time not so long ago (January of 2011), I told myself that if I was to see any movie in 3D, it would be "Despicable Me". Sadly that isn't the case, I didn't get the chance to see it with the extra dimension. 3D televisions are too expensive and they aren't showing it at any theatres around me. Nonetheless, I still couldn't go the year without seeing this one. Hopefully I can still enjoy it without the extra visual enhancements.

Gru (voiced by Steve Carell) is the most evil genius in the world, well all up until Vortex (voiced by Jason Segel) steals the great pyramids in Egypt. Gru cannot just stand their being second best, so he sets up a plan to steal the moon by shrinking it down to size. Sadly, Vortex has the only shrink ray gun in town. Gru adopts three little girls to help his devious plan to get that shrink ray gun from Vortex. But something unusual happens, he grows a connection with the girls. Is it enough to stop him from his evil ways?

Water cooler talk makes a lot more sense in Gibberish.
 The movie is full of comedy. This must be one of the funniest non-Pixar animated movie I've seen all year, or at least what I can remember of this year. All the characters just work so well with one another. Be it the 3 girls, the minions or even the goofy Vortex. They all have their special kind of humour that worked with each other. But undoubtedly the minions were my favourite. Their zany and cooky antics paired up with that unique cuteness that make them so damn adorable.

The typical family.
If there is one fault here, it is the boring story. It felt all too generic, grumpy man who changes himself because of something new and vulnerable that came into his life. Other animated movies like "Up" or "How to Train Your Dragon" have a strong story line that won't bore the adults. Here in "Despicable Me", we have a generic story that kids can follow along, but is as predictable as Republicans. So when the movie did finally get down and focus on the story, I just wanted it to be done and get on to the funny bits.

Sometimes when animated movies get big stars such as Segel or Carell to voice their characters. Their voices are so recognizable that the character almost gets diluted. I picture the character more like the actors voicing them than how they were meant to be protrayed. Thankfully, I could not recognize anyone off the bat, I had to look up who was who. Russell Brand was fairly noticeable as Dr. Nefario, but I know his arrogant British accent more than I would like to.

This is how Vortex uses the Internet.
So yes, I enjoyed this movie a lot. It was really funny, I was laughing and barely keeping my composure while watching this. Great skits like testing out all the new weapons on the minions or Agnes (the youngest kid) talking about how damn fluffy the toy unicorn is, are all amazing. So maybe it was the script that made this movie what it was. Whatever it is, I couldn't get enough of it.

Being that this is my last post of the year, I suppose I should probably make a spiel on how amazing this blog has been. And it has been, I don't think I knew what I got myself into in the beginning of the year. Yeah, I did catch up with a bunch of timeless classics like "Repulsion", "Forbidden Planet" and "Predator". And yes, I did find I movie I wouldn't even recommend to my enemies like "The Room", still can't get that image of Tommy Wiseau's butt out of my head. But I totally had tons of fun with this, sadly though this is where it ends. Thankfully you can't see or hear me as I whimper like a little girl right now. I need to leave you blog, watching 3 movies, let alone 7, a week has become a bit too time consuming right now. It's not you, it's me. No, please don't look at me like that.

3 comments:

  1. I have watched this movie so many times I can't keep track anymore. Mostly I fall asleep to it. Also, I am a girl and I dressed up as Vector for Halloween. At work.

    And I just found your blog. Love it! But I guess I will just have to back-track and read everything from this past year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you only found out about us now. But I'm sure there is a years worth of content for you to catch up on :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this movie! Has sentimental value since I saw this night before I got married. Anyways, Vortex? I thought his name was Vector. "Something, something and magnitude." I got this on DVD but let my friend borrow it and haven't seen it since. Lol.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment for us!