Thursday, December 22, 2011

Force Fed Films: "Gremlins" (1984)

To say "Gremlins" is a Christmas movie is like saying "Die Hard" is a Christmas movie. Although the two have nothing to do with the holiday itself, both movies take place during the holiday. I would like to say that Jim was shocked that I hadn't seen "Gremlins", but over the year he has probably grown accustomed to me not seeing some of these big name movies. So as the big 25th draws nearer and nearer, it would be only be fitting that I start watching Christmas movies. So lets start this right with my thoughts on "Gremlins".

It all begins when Randall Peltzer buys his son, Billy, a nice 'Mogwai'. This cute little critter becomes Billy's new pet, who he names 'Gizmo'. But there are rules to follow when owning a Mogwai; it can't get wet, it hates bright lights and lastly, whatever you do never feed it after midnight. But what are rules when they can't be followed? Billy gets clumsy around Gizmo and not only spills water on him, but he accidentally feeds him after midnight. This in turn creates the Gremlins to grow from Gizmo. The Gremlins roam the streets of Kingston Falls making trouble wherever they go.

Gizmo is so damn cute.
Right off the bat, the movie exploded with the cheese factor that can only be suitable for the 1980's. But it was nice and well fitting. What is a Christmas movie without a little bit of cheese? Everything about this movie, the comedy, action, and I'm using the word loosely here, the horror felt extra 1980's like. Though this sort of thing excites me, even entertains me plenty.

The Mogwai are the focal point in this movie and I love them so much. They are just extra cute and adorable, they sort of remind me of the Furby craze. Gizmo is the only Mogwai I cared about because the other Mogwai *spoilers for the one other guy that hasn't seen this movie* turn into Gremlins. And dear god how ugly they are. They are the equivalent to the internet trolls that roam the world wide web. They are disgusting to look at (worst than Christmas sweaters), evil by nature (more than your Aunt after a bottle of chardonnay) and will do anything to kill you.

How can something so cute become something so ugly!?
Though one thing was missing from this movie, it felt like it didn't have a Christmas moral/message at the end. Every Christmas movie needs, from giving to the poor or respecting everyone around you, there needs to be one. The only moral I got from this is to listen to the old Chinese man that has the fung shui moustaches. That and don't trust ugly green things that try to kill you.

At the end of the day, the movie is a typical 1980's kid's movie that has a holiday twist to it. I wouldn't say I hated the movie, it just doesn't stand out to be anything out of the ordinary. Not to say I didn't enjoy the movie, I just felt they could of been wackier with the film. I did laugh a good amount when the gremlins started to attack and the misfortune that fell onto the residents of Kingston Falls. Onto Gremlins 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment for us!