Monday, December 26, 2011

Poll Position: "Million Dollar Baby"

It is sad to think that it took a poll for me to watch "Million Dollar Baby". It was on my list, but it kept on being moved down. Especially after watching "Gran Torino" and "Mystic River", it kept giving more and more excuses to see this. I slowly came to the conclusion that not only did I adore Clint Eastwood as an actor, but as a director also. He has this style, both as an actor and a director, which I've never been able to put a finger on it but it has always drew me in. But yes, thankfully I am finally getting to see this, hopefully it lives up to my expectations.

The movie centralizes on Frankie Dunn (Clint Eastwood) and his life as a boxing trainer. Frankie has trained a lot of boxers in his life, all with their varying amount of success. But he is hit hard when his most recent fighter leaves him for another manager. But when Maggie Fitzgerald (Hilary Swank) walks into Frankie's gym, a new chapter in Frankie's life unfolds. He doesn't train girls, it's embarrassing but there is something in Maggie that keeps drawing him in. Maybe it's the heart in her that Frankie keeps talking about it, or maybe it's because Eddie (Morgan Freeman), the gym janitor, keeps bugging Frankie to train her. But whatever the case, he succumbs to the pressure and takes her on.

Frankie and Maggie make an unusual team.
Following the similar styles as other Clint Eastwood movies, the movie has that same feeling all of his others do. There is that emphasise on lighting, religion, and sacrificing. First of all the lighting effects are stronger in this movie than any other's I've seen. Using light to direct the viewers attention and blackening out the surroundings sticks out and used a lot here. Especially when it between the deep conversations taking place with two people.  Also the way and where the light hits the central characters makes a big impact on the emotions between portrait by said character.

If the lighting didn't distract you, the feel good atmosphere throughout most of the movie should have entrained. The characters were great; Maggie was that underdog we all can cheer for. Danger (Jay Baruchel) is that comic relief that we sort of have pity for. I liked him a lot, he delivers some laughs and the feel good attitude. Clint Eastwood is still that same character he usually plays, the names are interchangeable from: Walt, Frankie, Some man with no name or even just Harry. He is that guy with the tough-macho exterior and can only get into that goofy kind man if you chisel at him long enough. And Eddie? Well he is that man in the back corner that is always looking over us, Morgan Freeman plays him well, but he narrates the movie even better.

They may be both old, but they can still can put up a fight.
A small thing I want to address is that Danger wasn't the only one bringing in laughs. I thought the chemistry between Frankie and Eddie was nice. It was the feeling of watching two old man bickering over nothing. The words they pass back and forth are not only funny to hear but really shows off their respected characters well.

Now I need to dive into spoilers to make my last point. This movie is a tragedy that really makes the viewers feel like they hit rock bottom. Like I said before, the movie made me feel good throughout most of it. The few laughs can be had here and there, but the true spirit of watching an underdog raise up from the ranks is the best feeling off all. The worst is watching Maggie lose it all and eventually leave not only the ring but life. My stomach has never felt my heart dropped so hard in it's life before when Maggie told the news about her C1 and C2 never being able to be fixed. The movie took a complete 180 and drove into misery. It really hits home, and makes the movie feel that much more powerful.

There is something to be said about a movie that can pass so much emotion through the screens and into the viewer. I think Clint Eastwood has done a great job not only acting but directing the movie to. As I've said before, there is something magical that Eastwood does with the film that really makes me feel the movie happened in my life. The characters are great, the story is involving and the entire movie is great to watch. Another stellar piece of film by Clint Eastwood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment for us!