Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Taking a Leap of Faith with Hot Rod (2007)

Today I choose to watch the 2007 slapstick comedy Hot Rod. Rod dreams of two things, being a world class stunt man, and earning the respect of his step-father Frank. Unfortunately, he's not very good at either. After learning that Frank has a heart condition, he sets out to make the money needed for the medical bills by attempting the biggest jump his town has ever seen. Can his crew come up with enough stupid stunts for Rod to earn the money? Can Rod save Frank? Can Rod save himself? And most importantly, can one epic 80s punch dance scene save this movie? Hit the jump (Haha, get it? Jump... cause he's a stuntman... nevermind) to find out!

Well if I'm only to speak about the dance sequence, I'd say yes. Follow that with the longest falling-down-a-hill sequence I think I've ever seen and you might have an idea what to expect from Hot Rod. Hot Rod held a lot of promise for me, but to be honest, it wasn't the funniest movie I've ever seen. Not by a long shot. It did have a few moments that I couldn't help but laugh at, but so many of the jokes were just nonsense that I found myself bored through large portions of the movie.

Unfortunately, I found most of the characters unlikable. Rod, played by Andy Samberg, was amusing enough to keep me from yawning, but his friends, his family, and even Rod's dream girl were all boring and pointless. Luckily they are more like background extras than side characters and most of the movie lets Rod take center stage as a stuntman should.

As for the stunts, they were all done well, especially the crashes. I think if the movie had more of them, I'd find it more enjoyable, but there really weren't that many. I expected a crazy over the top comedy, but what I found were only brief glimpses of that and mostly filler. Sorry, but a lengthy scene of a man explaining his belly tattoo of a boy peeing on an FM radio and a TV at the same time just isn't funny to me.

So in the end I didn't really enjoy it. It had a few funny moments, but not enough to make up for the inane characters. I don't expect a comedy to have an intricate plot or story, but it should have characters that I enjoy and want to see more of, and Hot Rod just doesn't have them. If you like the idea of an incompetent stuntman calling on the spirit of the octopus to help him land safely, then maybe this is a movie for you, but I really can't recommend it. Well, except for that sweet 80s punch dance sequence in the forest. That was great!

6 comments:

  1. Your killin' me man. Hot Rod is one of my favorite movies, and have watched it about 50+ times. To be fair though I didn't really like it a ton the first time I watched it, and it is better when you have someone else to say quotes with. Also, I loved Bill Hader in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also a fan of Hot Rod, though it may be due in part to the large and rowdy group I watched it with the first time. It's hard to say if I would have felt differently if I watched it alone, but somehow I think the scene with John Farnham's "You're the Voice" would always equal a win for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's entirely possible that watching it alone was the wrong choice. I know there's a lot of movies that simply play better with a crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came to comment and say that Bobafettjm flippin loves this movie but i see he has already made his own comment lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. The riot scene definitely was one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I'll admit the riot scene was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment for us!