Thursday, February 10, 2011

Force Fed Films: The Mighty Ducks (1992)

For weeks, Puneet has been threatening me with choosing The Mighty Ducks as his film of choice for Force Fed Films. Somehow I always avoided it though as he kept changing his mind to the other movies you've seen me review in the past. This week however, there was no avoiding it. This is one of his favorite childhood movies, so I couldn't blame him for his fears that it potentially wouldn't hold up over the years. After all, this movie is now 19 years old. Anyone out there feel old now? Anyways, hit the jump to see if I think the Mighty Ducks still have it, or if they're all washed up.


I have to admit, I really wasn't looking forward to this at all. I mean, it's a kid's movie. Not just a kid's movie, a kid's movie from 1992, before they figured out how to make kid movies that adults can enjoy too. At least that was the impression I had going in. Well let me tell you something.... I was right. There was nothing in here for me to hold onto and I was bored throughout the whole thing.

We start out with a group of kids who seem barely able to skate properly, and they become pretty good hockey players almost over night. Sure I can use logic to assume they practiced a lot, but next to none of any kind of practice is shown. They just become far better one scene to the next.

Peter from Fringe is in Mighty Ducks
The only thing I found slightly interesting about the movie was that an extremely young Joshua Jackson is the main kid. If you don't know him by name, he's the lead male character in the amazing TV show Fringe. Wow, it's been a long time.

There's not much here for me I'm afraid, and not much I can say. All the comedy was lame, the acting was passable at best, and the action was just stupid. The best thing I can say about The Mighty Ducks, is at least it had a good message. I suppose really young kids would like a movie like this. It's certainly got the poop and fart jokes for them.
Now, GO WATCH FRINGE! 9 PM FRIDAY NIGHTS on FOX. FRINGE IS AWESOME!

5 comments:

  1. I still love this movie, but I am sure it is because of childhood nostalgia. Now it's time for you to watch Mighty Ducks 2 and 3, then it will be Knuckle Puck time!

    BTW every time I see Joshua Jackson in anything I go, there's that kid from Mighty Ducks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, you didn't even like Averman? That man is the funniest guy in that whole movie! WAX ON WAX OFF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim sometimes you just have to go inside your heart and chant, "Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is what happens when you watch a 20 year old childhood movie for the first time at nearly 30 years old. :P I hated Averman, he was endlessly annoying, and I think we can all just assume I have no heart.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment for us!