Sunday, February 13, 2011

Your In-Flight Movie today is Con Air (1997)

Alright now we're talking! Ghost Rider was one of the biggest disappointments I've ever had to watch, mainly because Nicolas Cage was so poorly utilized. Con Air on the other hand is a perfect example of how awesome he is! It's also a good example of how awesome a lot of other actors are with the huge cast it has. John Malkovich, John Cusack, Ving Rhames, Danny Trejo, Steve Buscemi, and out of nowhere, Dave Chappelle. Lots of big recognizable names for sure. I'll be honest I was a little worried going into this as I've never really thought of Nic Cage as an action star, usually he's really skinny and acting all crazy. I'll go into more detail about the movie right after the jump!


Like I said, I've never thought of Nicolas Cage as an action star, but damn don't I wish he was in more after this! Con Air was great action the whole way through. It's been a while since I was this engrossed in a movie to be honest. Of course action movies are my kind of movie, so I've also seen a lot of them already. It's a nice treat to be able to catch up on a good one I missed.

All kinds of action and explosions! Just the way I like it.
Back to Nicolas Cage. He is really ripped for this movie! I'm so used to seeing him as the skinny down-on-his-luck everyman, that to see him as a pumped up US Ranger turned convict was quite a shock. But a welcome one to be sure. The accent he puts on is pretty cheesy, and he spouts off a few one liners that don't quite pay off, but overall I loved his character. I totally bought that he could do all the things he does in the movie, and that's quite a feat in my eyes since my normal perception of him is usually more like his role in The Weather Man. The world needs more Nicolas Cage action movies like this.

I don't think I need to go much into the story. He's a good guy who was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and then he saves the day. Nothing new, but it makes for a good shut-your-brain-off movie. The movie also holds up really well in my opinion since it was released in 1997. Probably helped all the more by all the good actors populating all the main roles. Thank you Mr. Malkovich. This is a definite recommend if you like straight forward action movies like me. Totally made my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment for us!