Friday, March 25, 2011

Now Playing: The Lincoln Lawyer (2011)

The original plan for today was to see Sucker Punch but the friends who wanted to see it weren't available, so we changed the plans to go see The Lincoln Lawyer. I actually hadn't even heard about this movie in any way, shape, or form. After a brief summary, I agreed and the plans were set. We also arranged to see Sucker Punch tomorrow, so you can look forward to that. Without further adieu, lets get into this. Click the jump for more.


The story revolves around defense lawyer Mick Haller, played by Matthew McConaughey, who works on his own out of his Lincoln town car. When I first heard this I thought it would be more of a comedy, as in this guy lost his business and now lives in his car, but in actuality he just uses it like a fancy office on wheels and he's quite successful. It comes in handy too as it lets him get around to all the court houses and jails to see and deal with many different clients. He is tipped off about a attempted rape charge on the son of a wealthy family and he jumps on the chance to make some big cash. The youth in question is Louis Roulet, played by Ryan Phillippe.
Matthew McConaughey looking cool as defense lawyer Mick Haller
The acting in this movie was quite good and not once did I question any of the characters and their roles. McConaughey is particularly good, I'd even say great in this role of the self serving yet brilliant lawyer. His first few interactions with other clients early in the movie do a fantastic job of establishing his character and you quickly know that this guy is cool as ice and not one to be outsmarted.

Marisa Tomei, who I last saw in The Wrestler, also shows up here as the ex wife and again does a great job. I haven't seen Ryan Phillippe in much, but from looking at his imdb page it looks like he generally plays the spoiled rich jerk, and he pretty much plays that same role here. Not much of a stretch from what he usually does, but then again, he's really good at it, so can't really complain about that now can I?

I'd just like to say that I LOVED the opening credits to this movie. The imagery and the music were just so stylish and well done that I was quickly bobbing my head to the tune and digging all the close up shots of the Lincoln car showcased throughout the intro. I wish I knew what that song was now, I could really go for some tunes right about now.
Ryan Phillippe plays the defendant in the case, but he's more than what he seems
Basically this movie was like watching a really good long episode of Law & Order or whatever your favorite lawyer show is. Start with the case, build the evidence, go to trial and fight the case. Only in this there are some really cool twists that I totally didn't see coming and how he has to wriggle to get out of them while still doing his job as a defense lawyer is brilliant and made me really love this movie.

I'm really glad I ended up seeing this movie, and I'm glad my friends brought it up as I hadn't even heard about it. A good solid story and some great courtroom drama paired with some great actors all adds up to a ticket I was happy to pay for. If you're looking for a good crime drama, check this out, you won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. I love this review! Can't wait to see the movie... And now for your listening enjoyment (I hope this is the one...) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs89vby0k_c&feature=fvst

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment for us!