Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Perfect Sunday is... Hot Fuzz?

I felt like watching something fun and lighthearted today so I decided to throw on Hot Fuzz. I've had a lot of people tell me I need to watch this movie, and also a lot of people react in shock when I say I haven't seen it. I enjoyed Shawn of the Dead for the most part, but the main reason I liked it was because I'm a huge zombie movie fan. As far as I was concerned, the comedy aspects of it were just alright. So to be honest, nothing really grabbed me about Hot Fuzz that said "must see". Hit the jump to see if I'm about to get more hate mail, or if I liked Hot Fuzz just like the rest of the world.


Actually to be honest I've never gotten hate mail, but I'm always worried about it every time I'm about to watch a movie I've had the above reaction in regards to not seeing something. What happens if I don't like it? People never like it when you say you don't like a movie that they love. Even though it's nothing personal, it's like a slap in the face to some. At any rate, I think I can cut to the chase and say that you don't have to worry, I quite liked Hot Fuzz.

I have to say, the thing I enjoyed most about it was Simon Pegg's character of Nicolas Angel. He always seems to be a goofball or just generally silly, so it was quite refreshing to see him play this incredibly serious no jokes cop police officer. It was such a huge change of pace from what I was expecting from him that I couldn't help but like Sergent Angel. Nick Frost, who plays his partner Danny was also quite fun and he was the one I found myself most amused by comedy-wise. Probably the best part of the movie (possible spoilers) is that all the stupid questions that Danny asks Angel, like if he's fired his gun while in a high speed chase, every single thing he asks about ends up happening by the end of the movie. No matter how crazy it seems at the time.
Some great action always helps
Although the movie starts off fairly slow, it also steadily builds up not only with the comedy but with the action. There's also a pretty solid mystery a foot in the village Angel is transferred to at the start of the movie. All in all it had excellent pacing throughout in all aspect of the film.

As I said the action ramps up as Hot Fuzz progresses, but even while it comes to a long extended action sequence at the end, I couldn't help but wish it was a little more original. Essentially it's just gun fights after more gun fights. Yes they were good, but it probably didn't have to go on for that long if that's all they were going to do. I will give it this though, the effects on the various wounds and accidents throughout the entire movie were really well done and often quite gruesome.

I can now see why so many people have told me to see Hot Fuzz, but at the same time, I don't think I understand the utter shock and disbelief I see on their faces after learning I hadn't seen it. It was good, but certainly not the best comedy or action movie I've ever seen. I found it amusing, but not hilarious. I'd say see it if it's on, but I don't think I'd say you should go out of your way to watch it.

1 comment:

  1. "I want some ice cream."

    That part always cracks me up.

    Based on the reaction from one of my friends who watched this with me I'd say the pacing actually might be a problem for some people. He was irritated with the movie until the climax.

    Another thing I really like was the fast action movie quick shots of Angel doing completely mundane things like getting ready for work and such.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment for us!