Sunday, December 18, 2011

This is a "Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol"



I'm a nineties kid, I lived about three months in the 80's and missed out on a lot of cool action movies. Thankfully the 90's had it share of great action movies such as Speed and Mission Impossible but I like to think that the 90's were all about the sequels: T2, Die Hard 2, etc. One thing I did not miss out on was Mission Impossible, the epic combination of espionage, spy gadgets and Tom Cruise (before his crazy days) was something that I loved. Kind of explains why I was so excited to see the fourth movie of the sequel comes out. I got together with Septicor and we watched this amazing movie in Ultra AVX, amazing.

A story in an Mission: Impossible movie? No need, all we need to know is that some super secret stuff goes down and Ethan Hunt (Cruise) needs to get his butt down and successfully solve the case, if he choose to accept it of course. Which he does, because if he didn't, the movie would be rather short and pointless. Hunt goes on a dangerous mission with his old time pal Benji (Simon Pegg) and his new partner Agent Jane (Paula Patton) to infiltrate the Moscow Kremlin to steal a nuclear bomb activation code. But it goes horrible wrong as they are against a group of terrorist. Hunt's group is blamed for a terrorist attack on the Kremlin and now the IMF is shut down. Hunt and his gang need to shut down the terrorist before they can bomb America.

Whatcha doing Hunt? Hanging around?
The movie did so much right here, I was so pleased with the outcome. We start off with the action, and it's fantastic. At times the CGI does get a bit weak, especially during some of the explosion. It's a minor complaint when everthing else still looks good. Name it and M:I-GP has it; foot chases, gun fights, gizmos and even the infamous rappelling down a chute (minus the rope). All done extremely well, and combined with the added tension it adds up to that is amazing. During the heat of the moment, my jaw was on the floor and I felt every heart beat going through my body, and it wasn't I that was scaling 100 story buildings in Dubai.

Benji and Hunt make a great team!
This is one of the key selling points, I am not entirely too sure how they did it but I felt so involved in this movie. My hands were shaking, I was feeling all the head trauma Hunt was getting, and every large building gap that Hunt took, I gasped for air. The movie was intense, with all the ridiculous stunts and the movie was good at building up the tension. This brings up how much a badass Ethan Hunt is; I always remembered him to be a smooth mofo, very James Bond like in the moves before this one. But here, he is still smooth but add in a bit of Bruce Willis with it. The messes he gets into are by far more than what the human brain can handle. Maybe it's a bit too much, but no complaints here.

Most attractive/dangerous spy out there.
I was glad to see Benji come back because comedies always have a place in action movies. Look at 80's movies for example, at times the comedy can be too cheesy but when done well it improves the movie tenfold. Benji is his typical self, providing great comic relief to balance out the tension real well. What was most surprising is that Agent Brandt (Jeremy Renner) has a few great laughs himself. Come to think of it, the four all great in their own ways. It was interesting to see Anil Kapoor playing the savant playboy, it really reflects how he is in real life. An interesting choose.

I hate paying ten bucks for a movie at the theatres. Especially when you get in; the theatre is packed, the floors are sticky and I need to sit through 20 minutes of adverts. But here, I had no problem paying $15 for this glorious piece of cinema. It was totally worth it to get that extra big screen, 7.1 surround sound and those comfy seats. The awesome movie was a bonus, who am I kidding? I was not at all disappointed with the fourth (hopefully not the last) installment of the Mission: Impossible series.

Make sure you read Jim's review here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment for us!