Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Reader Recommendation: The Proposition (2005)

Today I decided I'd check out another western, having quite a bit of luck with them recently. Also, I wanted to watch a movie that was recommended to me by one of our readers. We've been fortunate to have so many readers adopt our little site so quickly, and today I'd like to take a moment to thank every one for giving us your time each day. Today especially though, I'd like to thank Neil "The Metal Mallet" Murray, one of our regulars in the comments. Way back when I first watched Fistful of Dollars, Neil suggested I check out The Proposition and today that's exactly what I decided to do. More about this unique take on westerns after the jump.


As seems to be the norm for me, I had no idea what this movie was about when I started it up. Well that's not exactly true, I knew it was a western. But other than that, zilch! Even that though will lead ones thoughts to conjure up images that still won't exactly be correct. The Proposition takes place in 1880's Australia you see. It's setting and landscapes that we so commonly relate with western genre movies, provided by the natural state and beauty of the Australian outback. Indeed this is also an Australian made film.

The Proposition opens straight into a frantic gun fight. Who are these people? Are they the heroes or the villains? You're given plenty of questions right off the bat and keeps you pondering them throughout the movie. Primarily, are these the heroes of the story, or the villains? It's one of those movies, that even though you're initially given a straight up answer, you keep questioning it as to if that's really the case. In this case it's a struggle with morality, what it means to be family, and loyalty. It's a good story with some complex characters.

The Proposition is filled with beautiful shots like this
This movie is also filled to the brim with beautiful cinematography. Expansive landscapes, glowing sunsets, clear night skies, and distant thunderstorms are just some of the things that will treat your eyes here. Truly the outback is featured just as prominently as it's own character as any human in the film. The harsh conditions are constantly a challenge for everyone involved and you get a real sense of this environment they live in.

Bringing everything together is a unique score. I found it relaxing, at times, and hauntingly disturbing at others. Scenes and locations are contrasted directly against each other not only by visuals, but also with music. At one point in the movie, the scene jumps back and forth between two groups of people in different locations, each with their own piece of music that contrast like black and white. Relaxing melodies clash with chaotic, traditionally inspired scores.

The Proposition is an interesting film. It has a lot going for it in everything I've mentioned, but at the same time I got a feeling that it was a quiet movie. I know that may not make sense, but that's how I believe I'd describe it. There are a lot of long slow scenes, giving you a chance to think on the situations and characters. The moral battle is not an easy one. It gives the film an air of thought. This is a thinking man's western. Not too much in the way of gun-play, but a lot of contemplation while out in the wilds of the outback. It was a refreshing new take on the genre and in the end I enjoyed it.

3 comments:

  1. The setting always seems to make a pivotal role in a Western doesn't it? A good Western almost seems to treat it as a character itself.

    Thanks for the name drop. You need to give Puneet a pat on the back for mentioning this website to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you've sold me. I'm gonna check it out. Also, love the site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Francis Thanks very much! I really appreciate it. I hope you enjoy the movie!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment for us!