Friday, February 4, 2011

Finally Caught Catch Me if You Can (2002)

Today's movie has been a long time coming. I've heard so much about Catch Me If You Can over the years and I've always wanted to see it. Now was the perfect opportunity to catch this flick. This is honestly one of the reasons why I started all this. To see all the movies I've heard great things about and that define the film of our generation and generations past that I've always heard about but never seen. With scene stealers like Leonardo Dicaprio and Tom Hanks filling the major roles, what's not to love? So the big question is, did I love it? Or has years of hype spoiled it for me? Click the jump to read my thoughts.


I suppose I'll start with a basic plot, just to catch anyone up who isn't up to date. Dicaprio plays a young 17 year-old runaway who has a nack for lying. He forges cheques and impersonates important people to live the life he's always wanted and to redeem his father in the eyes of his mother. Tom Hanks plays the FBI agent who is hot on his trail over many years. Always pursuing, never giving up.

I quite liked the story and the different ways that Leo's character Frank manipulated and used the system to his advantage. Especially the way he could trick people into believing what he wanted them to believe. As he said in the movie "People only know what you tell them". Probably the coolest part of the whole thing is that it's based on true events. There actually was a guy named Frank who did all these things. I'm sure there was embellishment in the more dramatic scenes, but things like how he counterfeited cheques and forged different things like diplomas were probably quite accurate.


Leo once again using distraction to his advantage
This was one of Leo's first big break out roles. Even though he is young, he proves his acting chops with the best of them. Tom Hanks is of course brilliant, not much else to say there. I mean, these are two of the best actors in the industry right now.

There's really not much else I can think of to say. Catch Me If You Can is a great little movie supported by some true events and two of the best actors I know of. I don't know if it's something I'd say everyone must see, but it was good. I guess all I can say is, catch it if you can. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment for us!