Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I got to know all about the "Inside Job" (2010)

After watching yesterday’s “Freakonomics”, I was sent into a lust for more docs. And because of the recent economic uncertainty, I was thoroughly interested in why we are in such a situation. Many of us were affected by the recession and to avoid getting punished by the cruel market, I decided to educate myself. I might have tried to chew off more than I can swallow with this film. Because, while the movie was very informative, this might have been more than I was expecting. After the jump, I try to explain my experience with the “Inside Job”.

To very briefly sum up the documentary, it tries to explain the global financial crisis through the years of 2007-2009. Where it started in Iceland, traced its way into the American Wall Street and how it affected the further ends of the world, the Asian markets. The film maker also tries to put the finger on who is to blame. Was it the federal governments fault for relaxing on banking laws? Or was it the C.E.Os of many of the major banks that made risky investments for their profits? The movie truly does cover almost the whole spectrum of the crash.

Bankers need love too, they just use your money.

For this reason, that is why I was overwhelmed with this film. There is a lot of information being tossed at me. And I’m not embarrassed to admit, I had a tab open to Wikipedia just searching up some of these terms, companies and even famous bankers. I just think there is no point of half-assing while watching this film. Either I am going to understand all of what they are saying or not at all. But it was great that I picked up some knowledge. Though searching a lot of these terms did take a lot of time, so this 2 hour movie took me 3 hours to watch.

If you can keep up with the film’s big words than I am sure you will get a lot out of the documentary. It really does cover all the bases. From the start of events that set off the global recession that took place in Iceland to the more recent events of how Obama is trying to keep this problem under control. The movie covers a vast amount of time. And surprisingly enough it kept my interest throughout it all. Not because of neat effects or gimmicky sound but with charts. I have a huge hard on for charts, I mean I can't exaggerate how much I like charts. And because this movie has charts galore, it just sucked me right in. I know this might not be for everyone, but a lot of boring people will find this intriguing.


This leads me to my last real caution to you viewers. This movie is dry, I mean REAL dry. Like I stated previously, there are no visual effects (if you exclude charts), gimmicky music or even much humour. It’s just a textbook in a visual form. The most entertaining part might be the fact that Matt Damon (yes THE Matt Damon) narrates this entire movie.
In any event, this was a great documentary in the sense if you are just in it for the cold hard effects. The movie is fairly unbiased, even for a documentary it does cover different views. Obviously some views are boasted more than others to drive home the point. I learned a lot and I feel I am better prepared for what's to come. I don't mind to freak anyone out, but it is good to know what is upcoming in our near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment for us!