Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Pianist (2002)

l_28878_0253474_d6192a8fI recently looked up Oscars from 2002 after watching “Road to Perdition” earlier this week. When I saw that both “The Pianist” and “Gangs of New York” were nominated for best movie, I decided to watch them. Now I am a sucker for films about WW2, they are like a bottle filled with emotions. My best friend also told me to watch “The Pianist” earlier because of its WW2 theme. And there have been many movies that really pour that emotion on to the big screen. Even though “Schindler’s List” is a fantastic movie in all accounts, it sometimes over shadows other WW2 movies. But what is most unique about this movie is that it takes a unique look at what a Jew hiding in the rubbles of Poland experiences. I dive into greater detail after the jump.

Director Roman Polanski takes the story of a famous Jewish Polish pianist, Wladylaw Szpilman (Adrien Brody), and amazingly puts it on film. Szpilman goes through a life that no others will go through. He is praised for his skill on the piano, but that all takes the turn for the worst when Germany invades Poland. We watch as he tries to adapt to the new German restriction that affect both him and his family, help his family escape from the travesty and survive will the little resources that he has.

pianist

What’s the point of being alive when everyone else you love is dead?

I didn’t care too much about Brody before this movie, he really isn’t an actor that comes to mind all that often. But his performance in “The Pianist” is impeccable. He delivers the pain and suffering, as well desperation of a survivor. There is no doubt in my mind why he won the Oscars for his role in this movie.

Maybe I’m a bit twisted in the head, but through the movie I was trying to think of how Szpilman and his family were going to die. It is hard not to expect the Jewish family in a WW2 movie not to die. So yes, when the final ending comes around, I was surprised on how it ended. And it did end well, I found the movie wrapped up leaving me satisfied.

pianist4

Making ends means by working for the enemy.

I was taken back on how graphic this movie turned out to be. I expected more of a dark type of drama, but when I started to see people getting shot point blank. That took me by surprise. And yes the movie is very dark, but it suits the mind frame going into the film. The darkness also adds to how powerful the movie is. At one point during the spring season, Szpilman walks along the streets with ashes falling down on him. That scene was eerie.

Another thing to note is that this movie takes place over all of WW2, from 1939-1945. Sadly I didn’t feel that much time had past. The movie tried to show a large lapse of time with fade to black transitions, but it didn’t work in my eyes. But you really see the time effect Szpilman, who gets older, more diseased and weaker. The make up does a great job.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It was a good combination of history, entertainment and emotions. I’m glad the movie points out specific dates to embellish the importance, such as April 19, 1943 and August 2, 1944. As a bit of a WW2 nut, this was great. As a movie goer, this was stellar. As a person, I felt the impact of the movie. I would definitely see this again. Thank you to my best friend for recommending it.

1 comment:

  1. Didn't he make out with Halle Berry when he accepted his award? Good for him!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment for us!