Sunday, September 4, 2011

Now Playing: "Our Idiot Brother"

During this rather busy weekend, I got to see a movie at the theatres, which I rarely do. I got to check out “Our Idiot Brother”. My main attraction to this movie was Paul Rudd. I think that man is a real good actor and his movies always make me laugh. I especially loved him in “I Love You, Man” and “Forgetting Sarah Marshall”. Besides Rudd, I just thought this movie was going to be one of those typical summer comedies that’ll get a few laughs but is nothing more than a filler movie.

And sadly the story felt very meh to me. It is essentially Ned (Rudd) being tossed around by his 3 sisters after he needs a place to stay. To say Ned isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed is a bit of an understatement, especially when he sold an uniformed police officer marijuana and was arrested. He needs a place to stay after his former girlfriend doesn’t want anything to do with him after his release from jail. As his sister’s take turns housing him, Ned finds that his sisters are having troubles in their personal relationships. Even though Ned has nothing going for him, he is far more content with his life than his siblings are with theirs.

Paul Rudd's performance on Ned was weird but a good weird.

Let me get into the main reason for this movie, and that is to make me laugh. Even though there were a good number of parts that did make me laugh, it was only when it came to Rudd’s character. His sisters Miranda (Elizabeth Banks), Natalie (Zooey Deschanel) and Liz (Emily Mortimer) were there just to support Ned’s comedy. When the sisters were alone, the jokes went right through me and I just really did not care for a lot of them. The theatre was empty so I really wasn’t sure if the problem was me or the movie.

My main problem with this movie was the awkwardness that was the story and sub-stories with the sisters, most of the time it felt unnecessary and boring. I wonder whose brilliant idea was to take time away from the funniest man on screen and filled it with cookie cutter problems. Miranda is a prude, Nat’s a whore and Liz can’t satisfy her husband. I didn’t care for these characters and didn’t feel any compassion for their troubles. If anything, I was greatly trouble that Ned’s girlfriend kept his dog Willy Nelson from him after the break up.

Seems everyone but his sisters can tolerate Ned.

So yes this movie’s only greatness all goes back to Ned. Even though this is a comedy movie, Ned’s best scene is when he freaks out on his family. Throughout the whole film, Ned is the happy go lucky fella, all until all his sisters blame him for their lack of luck. Once they all get together and disturb Ned’s charades game, Ned freaks out and blows his top. Rudd pulled this scene off amazingly, it felt powerful. It really shows his diversity when playing any role, he can be rib streching funny or mind blowingly powerful.

I actually saw the trailer for this movie after watching the actual movie. Man this trailer sets this movie up in a total different direction than how I saw it. It sets it up like if Ned is the moron that is screwing up everyone’s lives with his shenanigans. Even though Ned’s just a victim of his sister’s rage.

This was my favourite look for Ned's hippy exterior.

I really think you all should save your money and rent this movie if you find it interesting. This is in no way a movie you should get out of your way to see. There are only a few good moments that I laughed at, but a lot of it is boring and awkward story telling. The supporting cast is a letdown and the movie as a whole felt rough and rushed. That said, Paul Rudd is amazing in this movie but in retrospect, when isn't he?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment for us!