Wednesday, September 14, 2011

They never hit "200mph"! (2011)

I did not really intend to watch “200mph” earlier this day. But the chance was given and I got to check it out with a bunch of car guys. And thank god I saw this movie with other people, because there is no reason to see it alone. I knew this was a bad film going in; it was made by the same people that made “Megashark” and “Snakes on a Train”. Seriously, if you have some spare time and want to chuckle a bit, check out their Wikipedia page The Asylum. I think it is my duty to see as many Asylum movies as possible especially “Transmorphers”. Now my thoughts on 200mph after the jump.


Story? Did you expect a story from a b-list movie, really? Well I guess I can scrape up something. Tommy is a street racing king, all until he crashes and dies while racing Kayce, his arch nemesis. His brother Rick has sworn to get vengeance for his brother, but the problem is that his stripper mom and stripper ex-girlfriend want him to go to college and give up racing. He goes against their will and gets his car ready for the race of his life. Will it be enough to get vengeance AND get the approval of his mom, we can only see.

Smallest car meet. Ever.
Yep, his mom’s a stripper. Yes, he does see his mom naked while at the strip club. And of course, he is somewhat okay by all of this. I just find it weird that his mom and ex-girlfriend work at the same club, I find that oddly weird. And he’ll just go willy nilly into the strip club, and is actually surprised to see his mom naked. Really, this kid doesn’t need college. I think he needs a psychiatrist.

But back to the movie, besides stating the obvious that it is utter garbage. I had a lot of fun with it. Well it was more that I was making fun of it. Because the gang and I knew it was garbage, we all had fun ripping this movie to shreds. Car names were wrong, the science behind the tuning made no sense and of course most of the movie had a terrible time keeping consistent with what was going on. Rick’s car would change during stunt sequences, from a Mazda RX-7 (FC) to a Nissan 240SX (S14) numerous times. Besides the point that those two cars look nothing alike, they had the same paint job … green. Oh and they never actually hit 200mph, because it is impossible to hit that on 'the streets'. Pfft what do they know, I do that all the time in Need For Speed.


The crew with my favourite character, the bookie in the middle.
Oh and the special effects. They are on par with the Megashark series, so I wasn’t let down. But because it was so obvious, I couldn’t stop laughing. It only gets better when they reuse 4 or 5 of the same clip of Rick’s car doing the same drift through a corner. It’s like they got the stunt right the first time and were scared to perform any more for the fear of them bashing up the car. Understandable when your budget is "well under 1 million dollars".

I did like some of the acting, more for the comical side. Both Kayce and the bookie played their stereotypical black person interpretation. I couldn’t stop laughing at their respective roles. Besides those two, the others were just abysmal and not worth talking about. All have their generic part in the movie. The geek, the tough guy, the chick who is a mechanic and of course the douche bag rogue cop.

One of the better CGI scenes. Yes, better.
To sum everything up, this movie is terrible and I do not think anyone should watch this alone. But and this is a big but (Kardashian size big), if you do enjoy the automotive industry you should defiantly get some of your car friends and watch this comedy. It does bring some laughs here and there, unintentional of course. I was shouting out "The Fast and The Furious" quotes from time to time and mocking every moronic word that came out of their mouths.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment for us!