Thursday, November 24, 2011

Force Fed (turkey) Films: "Beetlejuice" (1988)


Happy Turkeyday to our readers to the south, a month too late if you ask me but I don’t make the holidays, I just drink through them. “Beetlejuice” is one of those movies that I haven’t seen that I probably should have. It does have a cult following and has a special place in the hearts of the people who adore this movie. I was actually slightly surprised to see a star studded cast, and even more delighted to see my celebrity crush Catherin O’Hara. Beautiful, funny, red headed and Canadian, four things I love in a women, and I guess my turkey. Nevertheless, let’s not drool too soon over the food and get on with the show.


If I was to compare this movie to a Thanksgiving’s meal, the characters are easily the actual turkey itself. It is the foundation of a great meal giving it the initial taste and feel. Adam (Alec Baldwin) and Barbara Maitland (Geena Davis) are the cute, homely couple we can easily relate to. I loved them for their cute but innocent romantic relationship. And their trip to the after world is just ‘out of this world’. Than we have the Deetz which are the polar opposites of the Maitland. They move into the Maitland’s old house after they pass away. With their big time New York way, they demolish and change the house to fit their needs. Delia Deetz (Catherine O’Hara) is a terrible sculptor, but in her eyes she is perfect, but like every New Yorker she is a bit pretentious. Her husband Charles (Jeffrey Jones) just wants to move away from the city to relax, but finds a way to make money off the small town. And their 15 year old daughter Lydia (Winona Ryder) is a goth chick and of course she is the only one that can see the dead. This makes it fun when she is the messenger for the living and the not so living.

Adam and Barbara are so perfect for each other. From life to death do them part.

Now most people screw it up with the stuffing. Sometimes it’s too rich. But here I thought the stuffing here were a bit to dry, but with a nice hint of spice. Because even though the starting of the movie was a boring bland 80’s style of film (not even the good cheesy kind), it really kicked in when the dead started to appear. From the shrunken head dude to the personal help work, Juno who exhales her cigarette smoke through the gash of her neck, all the ghosts were colourful and creative. Then I realized it was a Tim Burton movie and all of this made sense. Sort of gives it a cartoony feel that I never shy away from.

The Yams are easily one of my favourite parts of my meal. This is why my enjoyment really peaked at around when the Maitlands tried to spook out the Deetz and their guest by possessing them and preforming the “Day-O” song. Not only is that song catchy but the dance number was at Broadway level of good. Wacky arm fluttering combined with hilarious facial reactions made everything the better. I almost cried during this scene from laughing so hard. There is something so innocently funny about it all.

Downright beautiful.

One of the great things of this movie is Betelgeuse (Michael Keeton) himself. Besides the dead gorgeous Catherine O’Hara, I got a real rise out of Betel- (let’s not say that name one more time, just in case) for different reason of course. His awkward perverted personality brings a eerie but comical feel to the movie. When he isn’t hitting on 15 year old girls, he is being resurrected to do the naughty to the living. Initially being called up to scare off the Deetz by the Maitlands, he is sent right back to the afterword after showing his true ugly colours. Yeah, he is obnoxious but his wise cracking jokes and slapstick comedy brings memories of Sunday morning cartoons that I love. So it might be an understatement when I say I love Betel- (fool me once, shame on you). This is what I call the cranberry sauce, the most flavourful part of the meal and to me the one that stands out the most, packs a nice punch.

"I'm a ghost with the most, babe."

The movie is a delightful dinner. It gives all what you want in a meal, great turkey, delicious Yams and most importantly they didn’t skimp out on the cranberry sauce. What I did feel and this might be a bit crucial is that the stuffing was lacking. But overall, I left full and satisfied. It was what I expected in an 80’s movie, with the over the top comedy with the slight hint that this was meant for a more mature audience, especially when you see Betel- (not saying that again, just in case) giving a hand motion similar to chocking a chicken after saying “Can I be scary?”. Great movie that I wish I saw earlier. Look at that, went the whole article without saying Betelgeuse three times – oh sumofabitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment for us!